The student news site of Westhill High School

Glass Corridors 2.0

Music Review: A Seat at the Table

Jahzeel Hill, Staff Writer

Solange Knowles or musically known as “Solange” is a singer, songwriter, actress, model, director, and producer who has recently released an album called A Seat at the Table. The album was released on September 30th, 2016 and went straight to number one on billboard. Solange described the album as “a project on identity, empowerment, independence, grief and healing.”

This is her third studio album since her last release of True in 2012. The album consists of 21 songs total but 8 of them are interludes. There are a variety of features from Lil Wayne, Kelly Rowland, Q-Tip, The Dream, etc.

Each song on the record is light and powerful in its own way. It never sounds heavy and never has any dull production. Lyrically the record is a big poem and makes you feel calm and its silky-smooth contemporary never makes you feel bored.

It’s an important record to talk about because the message on each song gives you a glimpse into one’s own perspective and self-search. After all that has happened in the black community this record is important. Not only is it for everyone but in certain ways this was created for black culture.

In songs like “Don’t Touch My Hair,” you see Solange setting limits to the degree in which she’ll compromise her beliefs and identity to satisfy other people. The objectification of black bodies has been part of American culture since slavery. Asking to touch a Black woman’s hair is a racial microaggression cleverly masqueraded as a compliment. In a mainly, white-dominated society it denies Black woman respect, consent and agency over their own bodies.

Solange’s “Don’t Touch My Hair” can be read as an explicit rejection of this behavior, as a simple establishment of boundaries, or as a powerful pledge of personal identity. Another song “F.U.B.U” (F.U.B.U which is an American clothing company generally created for black people) which talks about the black community coming together and protecting what’s theirs and stopping the inaccurate, inappropriate appropriation. The name is an acronym for “For us, by us,” with “us” referring to the African American community. So personally the album is a journey in Solange’s life for the past 4 years and her view on the world for herself in which people who listen can relate. I think it is important to listen to music with a soul purpose and message and this album gives a good one. It gives you a chance to reflect on your own life and problems and give you a more dynamic outtake on Solange’s perfect R&B/Soul contribution to the music industry.