The student news site of Westhill High School

Glass Corridors 2.0

Man Brings Joy to Refugee Syrian Children

Syrian children are excited to receive their gifts from Rami Adham. Fair use image from: Defend International.

Caitlin Donnelly, Staff Writer

Children play with toys, everyone knows that.

It’s an important part of childhood, and helps to develop interests as they grow older.

This includes refugee children.

During the year 2011, in Deraa, Syria; 15 school children were arrested and reportedly tortured for writing anti-government graffiti on the walls. Protesting occurred, demanding justice and democracy, and this was when things took a turn for the worst. The government grew angry with the protests and open fire on the crowd- killing four people. They even went as far as trespassing on the victims’ funerals and shot at mourners, killing one other person.

“Five years since the conflict began, more than 250,000 Syrians have been killed in the fighting, and almost 11 million Syrians – half the country’s prewar population – have been displaced from their homes,” Al Jazeera reports.  

Refugee children especially have been affected by the civil war going on, and because of this, their childhood has been greatly damaged. However, Finland resident Rami Adham has made it his mission to bring back the life taken from these innocent children.

According to NBC News, “Since civil war erupted in his homeland, Adham has traveled to Syria more than two dozen times. He’s slipped across borders and walked for miles with the bags on his back, at times dodging snipers and bombs.” Adham has been traveling to Syria bringing food, water, and most importantly, toys, to the refugee camps in cities such as Idlib– where little girl Miral Khalagi lives. Miral’s father was tortured and killed right before her eyes, and took her mother, who hasn’t been seen since.

NBC News reports that she only ever smiles when Adham comes around with his ginormous bag of toys, “‘You know, I’ve given a kid $10 and they don’t really know what to do with it,’ Adham said. ‘But give him a ball or a stuffed toy, he knows a thousand things to do with it. This is their mental therapy.’”

According to the Telegraph News, despite these great benefits there are many dangers to Adham’s consistent visits, “In June, he had to walk eight miles into the city because driving was too dangerous. Rebel-held areas of Aleppo have effectively been cut off from the outside world as the Syrian regime, supported by Russia, escalates air and artillery strikes.”

According to Orient Net, Even with the civil war going on in Syria, and the risks he’s taking, he still is determined to continue bringing to the toys to the kids, “Adham is already making plans — and collecting toys — for his next trip to Syria. ‘Right now, Syrian kids are just facing death and insecurity and constant threats,’ he said. ‘Toys are important.’”