The student news site of Westhill High School

Glass Corridors 2.0

Chicago Here We Come!

Image retrieved from: By Daniel Schwen - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=10639730

Mackenzie Powers, Sraff Writer

The Chicago chorus trip of 2017 is the talk and excitement of students in the choral program. As the date approaches, students erupt with commotion about room assignments and bus arrangements as the weeks digress. Students have mixed feelings about going to the windy city. Nerves and excitement fill most, but regret and dread fill some as well.

When asked what they were most excited about, students were very diverse with their answers, ranging from competing to shopping. As the trip has a very full itinerary there is much to do and see during the trip. The choir while be visiting places such as the Navy Pier and will be attending The Blue Man Group show. They will also be going through various educational tours, and of course be participating in the World Strides competition.  

The participation in fundraisers for the trip was a success for the choral department. Many students reduced the cost of their trip by selling cookie dough and participating in the annual garage sale. Students who were looking forward to going had more motivation for participating in the fundraisers and students who are not as excited did not sell or sold very little.

Missing school for the trip is a positive and a negative for students. Many would love to miss a couple days of school but also do not want to make up the work. Students in higher grades are more concerned. For example, Jahzeel Hill (11), said “It is during April and that’s when we are starting to gear up for the Regents, like I really don’t want to miss anything.” Tests and the amount of work that will need to be made up are crucial and overwhelming for some people.

In addition to the amount of work needed to be made up, the 12 hour bus ride is dreadful for many. Sophomore, Cami Cortez, says “It’s a lot… I feel like if I sleep the whole time, that might help.” Students are thankful for the coach buses and have learned not to complain because they have the luxury of nice buses.

As the weeks leading up to the trip approach students were asked if they were stressful or overwhelmed. Many students explained that they do not know what to pack because they do not know what the temperature will be, so it puts more stress into a smaller timeframe to be prepared. Other students answered with the fact that the itinerary is packed and they are more excited than stressed out.

This chorus trip to Chicago is exciting for students and as the weeks lead up and room and bus arrangements are being decided, excitement is setting in. This trip will be exciting and a trip to remember.